You have finally reached one of the first and most important milestones in your first 20 or so years of life: your first apartment!!! After you have finally found the new place you are going to call home, it is vital that you have the perfect college apartment essentials that you need to become move-in ready.
In this list of first apartment essentials, I have tried to include as many of the main items that I could. From decor to furniture and everything in between, you’ll pretty much find everything that you may need.
There are of course endless other small items that you could need to complete your college apartment, but I hope this list will be able to get you started!
Everything is broken down room by room. Here’s what we will be going over:
- College Apartment Bedroom Essentials
- College Apartment Living Room Essentials
- College Apartment Kitchen Essentials
- College Apartment Bathroom Essentials
This post may contain affiliate links. This means I will earn a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. Please read the full disclosure here.
College Apartment Essentials
College Apartment Bedroom Essentials
If your apartment does not come furnished, the first thing you are going to need is a nice bed This bed actually doesn’t even need a box spring to go with it and its assembly is completely tool-free!
A good quality mattress can be difficult to find. This simple mattress is a great option if you are a first-time mattress buyer and are unsure what you are looking for in a mattress. A good mattress is definitely something that you can take with you throughout your college years and beyond!
Other mattresses you may like:
- This mattress is a cheaper option if you are on a tight budget and would rather spend your money on more important things (like decorating haha). It may not last you years and years, but it will get the job done for now!
3. Mattress Topper
If your apartment comes furnished, the bed may be a little uncomfy, so a mattress topper is a must have! Not only will a mattress topper change the comfort of your bed, but it will also change the way you sleep (I’m not kidding!)
After trying a gel mattress pad my freshman year, I learned that I wasn’t a fan. When I got my apartment sophomore year I tried this one and LOVED it! And I still use it
Other mattress toppers you make like:
- If you want to give a gel mattress topper a try, I recommend this one.
If you are a clothes and t-shirt hoarder (like me), closet space will just not be enough to store your clothing items. This dresser comes with 6 large drawers and will match perfectly with almost any room decor.
Other dressers you may like:
- If you are looking to save on your dresser, this is a super cute option!
There’s just something about a nice desk that actually wants to make me be more productive. I love how aesthetic this one is and it is the perfect size to fit in your bedroom without taking up too much space
6. Desk chair
A nice desk chair is a must if you are going to be sitting at your desk studying (and doing makeup) frequently. How cute are these desk chairs?!
7. Desk organizer
A cluttered desk can be a mood and productivity killer. These desk organizers are so cute and will help keep your area nice and tidy.
Other desk organizers you may like:
- Paper & Notebook Desk Organizer – There is nothing more annoying than loose papers. This organizer will keep all of your papers and notebooks together in place.
- Desk Accessory Holder – This perfect for organizing pens, pencils, scissors, tape, and other loose items that you make keep on your desk!
8. Night stand
A nightstand is a perfect place to keep your phone, alarm clock, and bedside lamp close to you at night. You can really bring your nightstand to life by adding cute decorations such as plants, books, etc.
Other nightstands you may like:
- If you are going for a boho/mid-century vibe, check out this nightstand.
- Want your nightstand to double as storage space? Take a look at this one!
10. Night stand lamp
A night stand lamp is perfect to use at the end of a very long day without turning on your bright overhead lights.
Other night stand lamps you may like:
- This lamp is giving me chic industrial farmhouse vibes! It’s so simple but it makes a statement at the same time. It even has two USB Ports so that you can charge your phone. But that’s not all….you can even DIM THE LIGHTS! How cool is that?!
- If you want your lamp to be a focal point on your night stand, this one is super cute and fun!
11. Vanity mirror
If you are a makeup lover (like me) a good quality vanity mirror is a must. Who wants to leave the house with unblended foundation or contour?
With a nice quality vanity mirror, you will eliminate the chance of any potential makeup catastrophes, and be able to leave the house feeling confident!
Other vanity mirrors you may like:
- Looking for a vanity mirror that is smaller and won’t take up too much space? This vanity mirror is perfect! You can even fold it up and slide it in your drawer when you aren’t using it.
12. Storage baskets
Cute storage baskets are perfect to store any loose items that you may have that you don’t want on display. I personally use storage baskets under my bathroom sink, under my desk, and on top of my closet shelf.
Other storage baskets you may like:
- These storage bins will work great if you are going for a neutral themed room vibe.
Wanna know the secret to getting a hotel bed at home? It’s duvets. If you want to transform your college apartment bed into a hotel bed, you’ll need a duvet cover + a duvet insert which I’ve linked above!
Curtains are a must-have for your first apartment. Whether you like blackout curtains or are more of a sheer kind of girl, a nice pair of curtains can really tie everything together.
Other curtains you may like:
- BEST 100% BLACKOUT CURTAINS – If you want your room to be fully blacked out from any sunlight, try these curtains.
- BEST CURTAIN SHEERS – These are perfect if you like lots of natural light but don’t want your windows to be completely see-through.
15. Floor mirror
A nice sized floor mirror is essential for those picture mirror selfies. Floor mirrors also give the illusion that space is bigger than it actually is.
Other floor mirrors you may like:
- If you have space, I definitely recommend getting the one I linked above, however, if you are short on space, this mirror would be perfect for your bedroom.
16. Laundry Basket
I don’t know what it is, but there is just something about a cute laundry basket that actually makes me want to do laundry…even though laundry day is probably my least favorite day of the week. I love that this laundry basket has thick handles to use to carry if your washer and dryer are across the apartment.
Other laundry baskets you may like:
- This laundry basket will be a LIFESAVER on washday. It comes with two compartments that allow you to sort your lights and darks as you throw them in so that there are no color accidents later
College Apartment Living Room Essentials
Your couch is the centerpiece of your entire apartment…so why not make it a cute one? I love that this couch is a neutral color and pretty much goes with any type of decor that you may choose.
Other couches you may like:
- Going for a modern style? Check out this cute couch!
18. Accent Pillows/Throws
Accent pillows and throws are a great way to make a living room extra cozy and inviting. It’s typically cheaper to purchase pillow inserts and purchase pillow covers separately rather than buying them as they normally come from the store.
19. Area Rug
If your apartment comes with wood floors, a nice area rug will be a great addition. Not only will it help you keep your feet warm when it’s chilly, but it also adds just the right amount of flare and coziness to the room.
Other area rugs you may like:
- Fur Rug: This fur rug is super chic and cozy!
- Bohemian Rug: If you are going for a boho style living room, this rug would be perfect!
- Neutral Rug: Looking for a neutral rug that won’t draw too much attention? Take a look at this one.
20. Coffee table
A nice coffee table is the perfect addition to your living room and can tie the whole room together.
Other coffee tables you may like:
- I’ve been seeing this contemporary styled coffee table everywhere. I love how unique it is.
- This coffee table would look amazing in a glam styled living room!
21. End tables
End tables offer balance to your decor and serve as a place to hold other miscellaneous items such as lamps!
Other end tables you may like:
- This end table set is simple yet super affordable and would make the perfect addition to your apartment living room.
- These might be the cutest end tables I’ve ever seen! They offer the perfect pop of glam without being overpowering.
22. Accent chair
A cute accent chair can the perfect finishing touch to your living room as well as provide extra seating for the area.
Other chairs you may like:
- This chair so trendy! It won’t take up very much space if you have a living room on the smaller side, but it will still add a Boho/Scandinavian touch.
- Want something on the comfier and cozier side? This chair will do just the trick without taking up too much space.
Adding a cute lamp to your living room adds a nice ambiance to the space. I love using lamps in my living room to provide extra cozy vibes to the area.
25. TV & TV Stand
A TV in the living room is essential for entertaining others or even just having a cozy movie night at home. If you don’t want to take the time to mount your TV on the wall, adding a TV stand to your space is a great option. TV stands also provide extra storage space and can help fill up an empty wall.
A small yet efficient vacuum cleaner is perfect for storage purposes as well as keeping your floors nice and neat! This one is cordless and is a dupe for the Dyson Cordless Vacuum!
Now that you’re in your first apartment, you will probably venture into cooking most nights. This cookware set is the perfect starter kit for your kitchen.
Other cookware sets you may like:
- Looking for something long-lasting and a little more high end? Check out this set.
To avoid waste (and money) by using paper and plastic dishes, this dishware set has everything thing you need for your apartment kitchen.
29. Cooking tools
This cooking tool set comes equipped with everything you need for your apartment kitchen and cooking needs.
Other kitchen tools you may like:
- This kitchen tool kit so aesthetically pleasing
- If you’re a rose gold type of girl, you’ll love this one!
30. Knife Set
If you are going to be cooking regularly, a good knife set is essential. This particular knife set includes a knife sharpening block to ensure that your knives never get dull.
Silverware sets are definitely a must for your apartment kitchen. How cute is this set?!
A good toaster is a necessity for those mornings when you need a quick breakfast to get you going.
33. Coffee Maker
Whether you are an espresso or coffee fan, both Keurig and Nespresso are excellent brands to satisfy your caffeine needs.
I love that this blender is personal sized and is good for one drink. This not only helps with portion control but eliminates the hassle of extensive cleanup.
Other blenders you may like:
Best affordable powerful blender: Ninja Professional Plus
Best budget-friendly blender: Hotsch Portable Blender
35. Food storage organizers
If you are an organizing fanatic and adore those super organized Pinterest dream kitchens, you have got to get yourself a set of these pantry organizers!
36.Meal storage containers
Since you will be cooking more often in your new apartment. I swear by these storage containers because they seriously will keep your food fresh for so long!
37. Water filter
If you are trying to save money and refrain from excessive plastic waste, a water filter is perfect for you. This water filter has the ability to replace 300 water bottles and lasts for about 2 months on average. Be sure to check it out!
38. Dining room table set
If you have room for a dining room set in your kitchen area, check out this cute affordable option!
39. Bar stools
If your apartment doesn’t have enough room for a dining room table, bar stools might be a great option for you.
40. Dish drying rack
This is a roll up dish rack. When you are in a small apartment, you certainly don’t have any counter space in your kitchen to spare. You can simply roll this rack right over the sink for your dishes to dry without taking up any extra space.
A nice towel set is essential for your apartment bathroom. This towel set comes with 4 washcloths, 2 hand towels, and 2 bath towels. They are also offered in a wide range of color options to match any bathroom decor.
42. Shower curtain
A shower curtain is a must have for your bathroom and is the perfect way to add some flare into the area.
43. Bath mats
Bath rugs and bath mats a great to have to avoid slipping as you are coming out of the shower. They aew also a great for keeping your feet warm in the mornings when you are getting ready for the day.
44. Bathroom storage
To avoid bathroom countertop clutter, having some storage options will make your life so much easier. Check out these cute and affordable options that will match any bathroom decor styles.
45. Shower storage
Shower storage units are a great way to keep you body wash, shampoo, and conditioner off of the floor. Check out these storage options!
46. Trash bin
A trash bin is needed probably in every room in your house. Check out this affordable option!
This plunger option also comes equipped with a toilet scrubber! I love that it is simple and doesn’t stand out too much so that it’s able to match most bathroom decor choices!
Leave a Reply